Dr Dean Kilian
Qualifications: Registered Clinical Psychologist • B.A. (Witwatersrand) • HonsB.A. (Applied Linguistics) (UNISA) (with distinction) • M.Ed. (Educational Linguistics) (R.A.U.) (with distinction) • B.A.(Hons) (Applied Psychology) (Witwatersrand) (with distinction)...
My guiding motto as a therapist is: "life is just too short to be unhappy". I have been practicing therapy, counselling and assessment for 16 years and have always found the best way to help clients is to abide by this motto. I offer short-term therapy and long-term, depth work depending on the needs of my clients; I endeavour to work collaboratively with you in order to achieve a more integrated way of being in the world and of being able to translate the insight of therapy into ongoing, meaningful actions and experiences of living.
I believe that every client arrives as an individual and that every therapy started is a thumb-print, something specific to what you and I create and can achieve together for you. Sometimes, short-term interventions are enough and sometimes long-term therapy is needed or wanted. I have been working with people who live with addictions, eating disorders, trauma, relationship problems, personality disorders, depression and illness for some time and believe that there is very little that cannot be worked through in the safe space that therapy creates and offers. I work with adults and with children and adolescents; I also see couples and families. In addition to traditional talk therapy, I also use art and drama in therapy if it works for or is requested by my clients.
I have supervised psychologists, counsellors, clinicians in training and therapists both individually and in groups for over a decade, having supervised them in various contexts such as schools, hospitals, private practice. I have also worked in private practice, schools, psychiatric hospitals, general hospitals, children's clinics, a specialist eating disorder unit, a forensic treatment unit and various other contexts both as a clinical psychologist and, prior to that, as a speech-language pathologist/therapist and as an audiologist.
I have published in peer-reviewed journals and presented internationally on topics that have included: sexual addiction, drug/alcohol addiction, therapeutic relationships, deafness studies, research methodology, art therapy and forms/ways of healing in therapy.
I offer skype sessions for people who cannot get to the rooms and for clients who travel frequently. I offer therapy in English and Afrikaans.
I always try to match the way of working to the needs of my clients. Here are the forms of therapy I use:
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Narrative therapy
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Systems/Family therapy
- Gestalt therapy
- Existential psychotherapy
- Dialectical behaviour therapy
- Substance use and Addiction (drugs, sex, alcohol, pornography)
- Eating disorders
- Depression and anxiety
- Relationship issues
- Couples and family therapy
- Personality disorders
- Sexuality and LGBTQ+ issues
- Trauma (Sexual abuse and other trauma)
- Therapists in therapy
- The use of art/drama in therapy
- B.A. (Witwatersrand)
- HonsB.A. (Applied Linguistics) (UNISA) (with distinction)
- M.Ed. (Educational Linguistics) (R.A.U.) (with distinction)
- B.A.(Hons) (Applied Psychology) (Witwatersrand) (with distinction)
- B.A. (Sp. & H. Th.) (Witwatersrand)
- M.A. (Speech Pathology) (Witwatersrand) (with distinction)
- M.A. (Psych) (R.A.U.) (with distinction)
- D. Litt. et Phil. (Psych) (University of Johannesburg)
- Certificate in Advanced Psychodynamic Addictions Training (PPSC, N.Y.)
- New Zealand Psychologists Board (NZPB)
- New Zealand Psychological Society (NZPsS)
- International Association of Psychoanalytic Self Psychology
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (Clinical Psychologist)
- Health Professions Council of South Africa (Speech-Language Therapist and Audiologist)
Please feel free to contact me on:
- Phone: (09) 477-3760
- Email: Dean@PsychotherapyAtApollo.co.nz
BA, Grad Dip Psychotherapy...
Dip Teaching, Grad Dip...
Cees J Breuseker
Registered Psychotherapist, MA, NZAP, PPAA, NZAP Supervisor...
Dr Lynelle Gillard
Registered Clinical Psychologist, DClinPsy, Dip Bus Studies...
Registered Psychotherapist, PBANZ, BACP, MA...
Dr Mark Thorpe
Registered Clinical Psychologist, BA BA (Hons), MA (Clin. Psych)...
Registered Psychotherapist, PBANZ, MSc. Psychology...
Jan Winch McCarty
Registered as a Member with New Zealand Association of Counsellors...
Registered Psychologist, BAppSci MSc Psych (1st class...
Dr Dean Kilian
Registered Clinical Psychologist, B.A. (Witwatersrand), HonsB.A...
Dr Sonja Goedeke
Registered Clinical Psychologist, BA, BSocSci (Hons), HDE...